From a Farm Boy to a Bishop of the Church
His humble beginnings
He dream of being a lawyer, not a pastor. However, the Lord spoke to him through a vision that he should be a shepherd of God’s flock and a fisher of men. This turning point in his life happened when as a teenager he contracted a strain of influenza virus, which almost cost him his life, but God heard his prayer. He was miraculously healed and, eventually, he offered his life to the Lord. It was October 3, 1975 when he fully surrendered his life to Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior. He reckoned this as his spiritual birthday. Since God gave and leased him a new life, he knew deep in his heart that God wanted him to accomplish something for His glory. This made him realize that the Lord called him into full time pastoral ministry. With zeal as a youth, he resolved to become a pastor —that after his college years, he entered the seminary without his parents’ consent or even a prospect of any scholarship grant for his theological studies. His life is a living testimony of the greatness and goodness of God’s grace which brought him from a farm boy who tended animals and cultivated farmlands into a shepherd of God’s people who cultivates relationships as God intended him to be.
Lord spoke to him through a vision that he should be a shepherd of God’s flock and a fisher of men.
His leadership style
He honestly admits that his exposures for 14 years as chaplain in the military world of the Armed Forces in the Philippines taught him the value of aiming for good results as well as the redemption of time to be wisely spent making the most of every opportunity since human life is but short on earth (Eph. 5:15-17). His management style is founded on the biblical principle of servant leadership and as a disciple-maker, he balances discipline, wisdom and compassion to produce healthy, happy and holy United Methodist Christians.
A Five-Star General
His passion as Disciple-Maker
He is a “Big Brother” to many young believers. He is ready to listen, counsel, pray, mentor and coach. He is a preacher-teacher of God’s Word who is characterized with wisdom and wit which keep his students and listeners awake and attentive. He is a “Five-Star General” in the Lord’s Army who advances the cause of the Gospel of Christ and promotes the agenda of God’s Kingdom in the frontiers of evangelism, discipleship and missions. He understands the times and prophetically stands for what is right, just and truthful for the church and society. Yes, the Lord called Him into the episcopal office for two terms now yet he understood both the Calling and office as a place to be down-to-earth to roll trousers and sleeves, to work diligently and reach out the lost, the least and the last. Above all, he aims to glorify the one true living God in all the things that he does by being faithful to the vision and mission that Christ entrusted to him.
Above all, he aims to glorify the one true living God in all the things that he does by being faithful to the vision and mission that Christ entrusted to him.
- Exploring Candidate to the Ministry, 1981
- Ordained into the Order of Deacon, 1985
- Ordained into the Order of Elder, 1987
- Elected and Consecrated as UMC Bishop, Baguio Episcopal Area, 2008
- Reelected into the Episcopacy, Manila Episcopal Area, 2012
- Reelected into the Episcopacy, Davao Episcopal Area, 2016
- Dean of Protestant Chaplains of the AFP-PNP Evangelical Churches in the Philippines, Inc.
- Secretary, Asian Methodist Council
- Member of the Boards of Trustees (Wesleyan University Philippines; Philippines Christian University; Union Theological Seminary [Chairperson of the UTS Development Committee]; Kapatiran Kaunlaran Foundation Incorporated; Harris Memorial College; Mary Johnston Hospital)
- Former Vice – Chair of the Clergy, National Council of Churches in the Philippines
- Former President of the Central Conferences College of Bishops, UMC Central Conferences (consisting of 19 Episcopal Areas in 7 Central Conferences in Africa, Europe and the Philippines)
- Former National President, HAGGAI Institute Philippines (4 Terms)
Theological Formation and Advance Leadership Trainings
- AB Psychology (1981), Philippine Christian University
- Master of Divinity (1985), Union Theological Seminary
- Doctor of Ministry (1991), Columbia Theological Seminary in Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- Haggai Institute (1993), Singapore
- National Institute of Church and Finance and Administration (NICFA, USA, 1998)
- Technical Service Advanced Military Officers’ Course, 2003, in Fort Magsaysay (Graduated No.1)
- Basic and Advanced Clinical Pastoral Education (Silliman University, Philippines and Emory University, USA)
Ministry and Mission Involvements
- Pastor at mission churches of PAC (1981-1989), pioneered work and organizes local churches in Calamba, Laguna; Binakayan, Kawit, Cavite, and Parañaque Central
- Pastor of Knox United Methodist Church (1991-1994)
- “Ministry Developer” UMVIM and NAFAUM, South Carolina, USA, (1989-1990)
- Instrumental in the establishment of Diamond Evangelical School, Cagayan De Oro City
- Chaplain and Instructor, Philippine Military Academy, 1997-2002. Built the PMA Chapel in 1998.
- International Faculty and Resident Coordinator, Haggai Institute, Maui, Hawaii and Singapore
- Served as Part-time Professor of Doctor of Ministry program of Union Theological Seminary, Philippines
- Chaplain of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (with rank of a Major) and served the Army Church, Fort Bonifacio (previously in the Air Force)
- Spiritual Adviser of Military Christian Fellowship – Lecturer of Evangelism Explosion (EE) and Condensed World Mission Course (CWMC)
- Initiated and organized the National Clergywomen’s Consultation
- Organized the Philippine Emmaus Walk
- As bishop assigned to BCEC, signed the MOA with Rev. Dr. Steve Bryant for the Discipleship Resource – Philippines (DRP)
- Represented the Council of Bishops to the Consecration of Bishop Dr. Saw Shue in Yangon, Myanmar, in March 2010
- Represented the Executive Committee of the COB to the 2012 General Conference of Malaysia Methodist Church in Kuala Lumpur.